History of the Parma Rotary Club
In November of 1957, an idea was conceived and discussed by two men, George Carr, a Rotarian of long standing, and, Paul Hoover, a Rotary Past District Governor. From these discussions, other conversations soon followed with Henry Barr, President of the Berea Rotary Club, to ask that club to sponsor the new Parma Rotary Club.
Other prominent local business and professional men, including Walter kanieski, then the owner of Parma Hardware, showed a positive interest in forming the Parma Rotary Club. From the efforts of these men, the Parma Rotary Club became a reality.
On March 12, 1958, Rotarians from the District, other clubs, and the sponsoring Berea Club met at the old Iron Kettle Restaurant to discuss the formation of the Parma Club and to review the proposals of 20 charter members. During this meeting, George Carr, who would serve the Club as Secretary, received an organizational kit containing pamphlets, rules, and other materials.
Two weeks later, on March 26, 1958, an organizational meeting took place at the former Mirenda’s Restaurant with the proposed members getting acquainted with each other and the principles of Rotary. During this meeting, the first Board of Directors was nominated. James DuPuy was elected the Club’s first President.
Charter night for Parma Rotary was June 24, 1958 at the Greenbriar Restaurant. During that critical first year, membership in the Club increased to 33 members. A Rotary year runs from July 1 through June 30.
The history is now one of over 50 years of noble community service; of unselfish volunteerism; and of unwavering devotion to world peace and international understanding and cooperation. We have touched thousands of lives during these years with thousands of dollars in charitable donations; hundreds of scholarships to our community schools; goodwill project after goodwill project; untold hours of living up to our motto, “Service Above Self”; and so much, much more.
Rotary, the world’s first service club, founded in Chicago in 1905, is an organization of business and professional leaders united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. In more than 200 countries and geographical areas, approximately 1.2 million Rotarians belong to more than 32,000 Rotary Clubs. The name “Rotary” was derived from the early practice of rotating meetings among members’ offices.
Rotary Club membership represents a cross-section of the community’s business and professional men and women who are all contributors to the Parma, Parma Hts., and Seven Hills communities that we serve.
Rotary Club members work to address various community and international service needs. Through community service and other means, Rotary Club members help promote peace and understanding throughout the world.
Our members are our most important asset. If you are a person who would like to share our commitment to service as a potential member, we would like to extend a personal invitation to you to visit our Club to find out more about Rotary and to meet with our members. Parma Rotary meets at Dimitri’s Restaurant, Dining Room A, 1830 Snow Road, in the Mid-Town Shopping Center, for a luncheon meeting at noon every Tuesday.